Why is sweet potato a SUPER FOOD?
These potatoes are one of the most versatile (roast, purée, steam, bake, or grill) and healthy vegetables I know and many researchers will agree.“Sweet potatoes are considered a superfood for diabetics, says the American Diabetes Association (AMA). They contain a high amount of fiber, which also helps to reduce levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol in the body”. (SOURCE: https://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition-tips/sweet-potatoes-a-diabetic-superfood/news-story/c559e96a115ee2ad0ac1b6e9ceb3799d). The natural sugars in sweet potatoes are slowly released into the bloodstream; which has been shown to support stabilizing blood sugar levels by lowering insulin resistance.
Sweet potatoes are packed with sweet flavor and lots of nutrients:
Vitamin B6 (linked with prevention of heart attacks)
Vitamin C (bone and tooth formation, digestion, and blood cell formation)
Vitamin D (supports the thyroid gland.)
Iron (red and white blood cell production, and the metabolizing of protein.
Magnesium (the relaxation and anti-stress mineral)
Potassium (help regulate heartbeat and nerve signals)
Carotenoids (help strengthen eyesight and boost immunity to disease)
Top all of these benefits with the fact that these tubers are a great source of the anti-inflammatory nutrients, vitamins A and C; which makes them excellent for those suffering from arthritis or asthma.
o 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
o 1 small onion, chopped
o ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
o 1 green chili pepper (I left this out)
o ¼ cup lime or lemon juice (I used lime)
o 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
o ¼ cup fresh cilantro (coriander), chopped
o Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the potatoes and onion in a single layer. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of the olive oil and mix well.
3. Roast the potatoes for about 30-45 minutes, or until done, turning the potatoes occasionally.
4. Add the rest of the oil, juice, chili peppers (if using), pepper to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
5. Add the sweet potatoes to a bowl along with the black beans. Drizzle the dressing over the potatoes and black beans. Mix well.
6. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro (coriander) on top.
Yours in health – Dr. Velonda
TWITTER: @drvelonda INSTAGRAM: sweetpotatodelights FACEBOOK: Be-Fit, Inc.